16 October 2013

Ugly duckling - WIP 1

So, I have a large carnivorous bird model that I want to make into a large swan-like bird for this Knight Project on the Oldhammer forum. I also have greenstuff (which I've used before with some success), procreate (which I've used before with some success) and milliput (which I've never used before). After careful thought, considering this is the first time I've been trying to reproduce a realistic effect... I chose the milliput. Error! Look at the mess I've made:



Fortunately, milliput responds really well to being reshaped when wet, so those horribly jagged edges might yet be salvageable without having to file bits off. I think what I'll do is switch to procreate for the surface detail: saddle shaping, buckles on the strap, nostril things in the swan beak. Oh, and that nobbly bit that mute swans have above their beak:


I'll have one more go at sorting the joints with milliput, just to get some practice.

Hopefully your sculpting is proving more successful,
Rab

2 comments:

  1. Good effort - milliput is tricky to work with - especially smoothing fingerprints out!

    Keep saying it but I really must have a bash at this knight project myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers! And yes, yes you must. What would suit your part of the country as a suitable mount?

    ReplyDelete