17 January 2015

Sample WIP pages from Knights' Quest

Like it says in the title, here are a couple of pages from the Knights' Quest rulebook. I have endeavoured to strike the right balance between a strong medieval, illuminated manuscript theme, and modern readability. Do let me know if you think I've got it right!



Obviously page references for later in the rules aren't finalised yet and will depend on how I finalise arrangement of example diagrams for Combat and Shooting, and the image has been resized to be slightly shorter and wider than it really is, giving it a squatter feel than it really has, but you get the idea.

The page size is 189mm by 246mm (crown quarto) and the font is P22 Morris Troy, a digital version of that used by William Morris when printing some of his beautiful faux-medieval books like the Kelmscott Chaucer during the 1890s. The illuminations are digitally hand drawn using a Ugee M708 graphics tablet, and the rougher font used in the title is a slightly tweaked version of Worn Manuscript Rough.

Feedback always welcome,

Rab

16 comments:

  1. Rab, this is really coming together well. Keep up to good work1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it is coming together now - each hour I spend on it gives real progress.

      Delete
  2. Nothing to add really, it's all good !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking very nice - professional production quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to hear that, Dean, I get so used to seeing it on my screen that I sometimes wonder if it's anywhere near good enough to publish.

      Delete
  4. That looks great! It's surprising how little thought/effort many designers put into their rule sets. Although a good set of rules is a good set of rules regardless of presentation, it cannot be denied that a bit of effort in this direction can significantly impart or enhance atmosphere and thus immersion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gareth :) Atmosphere and immersion are definitely what I want for this game.

      Delete
    2. I also like the paper size you've chosen and the amount of text to a page. Wargaming/rpg rules can be quite overwhelming and breaking the text into manageable chunks like you have is not only aesthetically pleasing, but also practical.

      Delete
    3. Excellent - all that time looking up bizarre ways to perfectly align the text in a medieval manuscript have paid off, then!

      Delete
  5. I know you've been pushing hard to get a medieval look to the rule book - and you've certainly hit the mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TB. It was amazing how it suddenly looked "right" after I discovered something called Tschichold's Canon of Page Construction (surely a d1000 table magic item if ever I heard of one) which is how to position the text block and balance it against the surrounding blank areas.

      Delete
  6. I love calling the GM a Minstrel! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete